was zum neuen Album....

• Uncut Artikel über das neue Album (von Rocksoff)

Now finally they've gone and done it with 'A Bigger Bang', a title which apparently reflects their "Fascination with the scientific theory about the origin of the universe." A notion which raises intriguing images of Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie sitting around the studio reading Stephen Hawking for inspiration.

Co-produced by Don Was and the band, the album was recorded in sessions in Paris at the end of 2004 and spring/early summer this year and mixed in Los Angeles. It contains 16 new Jagger-Richards compositions, which length-wise at least, puts the album in the bracket of Exile On Main Street (18 tracks) rather than Let It Bleed (nine tracks) or Beggar's Banquet and Sticky Fingers (10 tracks).

What's more, it is surely their last studio album. Given the long gaps between albums these days, the Stones will be in their 70s before another is due. So there might be a couple more tours but there surely won't be another studio record.

Early indications suggest that with this is mind, the Stones have defied the odds and raised their game to produce one last great album. There's none of the trendy fripperies that characterised Jagger's last solo album 'Goddess In The Doorway', no programming or borrowing from dance music or any other modern passing fad or fashion. As one Stones' employee puts it, 'They decided to borrow from themselves instead'. For the first time in years, sources say, Jagger and Richards wrote in tandem and the result is the most organic-sounding album they've made in decades.

Due for release on September 5, this is what Uncut has been able to piece together about an album that might be subtitled 'How The Glimmer Twins Got Their Groove Back'...

Rough Justice
    A kick-ass rocker, full of animal imagery about roosters, chickens, cocks,
    foxes and even a bat out of hell. At one point, Mick sings "put your lips
    to my hips and tell me what's on your mind".

Let Me Slow Down
    One of the best tune on the record, with a great femme fatale lyric
    ("there's a swish in your step and a gleam in your eye") and a dramatic
    chorus with a lovely descending melody, "I said baby, baby, baby, let me
    down real slow.''

It Won't Take Long
    Classic "Heart Of Stone" style Mick put-down lyrics as he tells the girl
    he'll soon forget her, accompanied by great dual guitar work form Keith
    and Ronnie.

Rain Fell Down
    A touch of New Orleans funk and a circular, clanging Meters-style guitar
    motif from Keith. Chugs along rather like Dylan's "Slow Train Coming".

Streets Of Love
    Starts with mock-Renaissance guitar chords, like "Lady Jane" or "Tears Go By", and builds into a big stadium ballad, with Mick deliciously mouthing lyrics about stalking the streets of love and confessing ''I must admit I was
    awful bad. . .''

The Back Of My Hand
    Raw and dirty blues, fantastic slide guitar, wailing harmonica, Mick yelping like a cat on heat. The ghost Of Muddy Waters walks.

This Place Is Empty
    Great piano-led ballad sung by Keith but very rootsy. Real honky-tonk-style
    tack piano and Keith crooning ''treat me sweet and cruel".

She Saw Me Coming
    Mick on the prowl again - only this time his prey was wise to the old
    predator's tricks.

Biggest Mistake
    Mick admits to making an error? Surely some mistake. Needless to say
    there's a girl at the bottom of it...

Oh No, Not You Again
    Storming Sticky Fingers-era rocker with a lyric about ''Oh no not you again, fuckin' up my life...'' previewed in the band's surprise live set on the balcony of New York's Juilliard School when they announced their new tour in May.

Dangerous Beauty
    Mid-tempo track on which Mick explains how he could always resist everything but temptation.

Laugh I Nearly Died
    A simmering mid-tempo groove with Mick sounding more impassioned than in years - "Been travelling far and wide, wondering who's gonna be my guide... I'm so sick and tired... I feel so despised... Laugh? Laugh? Laugh? I nearly died."

Sweet Neo Con
    The biggest surprise. We thought Mick was an old Thatcherite. But here he
    sticks it to Bush and co right between the eyes. ''You say you are a Christian , I think you are a hypocrite,'' he spits in the opening line to a tune a little like Dylan's "Masters Of War", while the chorus sneers, ''How come you're so wrong, my sweet neo-con.'' A Virgin spokeswoman in the US has already put out a panicky statement denying it's about Bush or anyone on the White House (can't risk upsetting Clear Channel, can we?). But if you believe that, you'll believe anything.

Look What The Cat Dragged In
    Another rocker with a classic riff and typical Jagger lyric.

Driving Too Fast
    Keith in overdrive on a pounding riff that rocks like its 1971.

Infamy
    The album ends with Keith stepping up to the mic again for his second wasted-sounding vocal of the album.

• Gerardo (Voodoo), der Leiter der Stones-Seite ROCKS OFF, konnte bei einer
    CD-Vorstellung in Südamerika A BIGGER BANG vorab hören, hier die
    Übersetzung seines Berichtes:
    Was für ein GROSSES Album, habe es gerade vollständig gehört mit einer sehr guten HIFI Ausrüstung wirklich laut und es rockt Wenn es einen "Füller" gibt, wäre es "Driving Too Fast" aber es ist irgendwie okay Es ist rauh, zurück zu den Grundlagen. Man hört nur Gitarren, Baß, Drums und Mundharmonikas, keine Bläser im ganzen Album und kein Klavier, ausgenommen in "This Place Is Empty" Es gibt nur einen Blues und zwei Balladen, alles andere sind Rock-Funk-Reggae-Titel, vorzüglich abgemischt in Rock-vorherrschender Weise. ICH LIEBE ES. "Rough Justice" über diese Anlage zu hören ließ mich mein Gefühl über dieses Lied ändern, es ist ein richtig rockendes Meisterwerk Beim Intro von "Sweet NeoCon" dachte ich an Magic Dick von der J. Geils Band, ob dieser die Harmonika spielt. Ich weiß es nicht, weil Mick Gesang und Mundharmonika gleichzeitig zu hören sind, aber selbstverständlich es eine Studioaufnahme. Egal. ich liebe es, daß keine Bläser zu hören sind, nur Mundharmonika, das preiswerteste Instrument´überhaupt. Einige Lieder wie "Rain Fall Down", "Look what the cat dragged in" und "Dangerous Beauty"haben in der Mitte oder am Ende ein großes Zusammenspiel von Bass, Gitarren und Schlagzeug die klingen wie das Amüsieren in einem improvisierten Jam in den guten alten Tagen. Das letzte Lied ist nicht wirklich eine Ballade, auch kein Rocker,kein Reggae, "Strange" ist Keith inspiriert in einem neuen Stil. "Biggest Mistake" hier macht Mick Gebrauch von seinem typischen Falsett, ohne zu überreizen, aber in "Laugh I Nearly Died" wird er nasal, schlimmer als Herr Zimmerman.

• Zitat

ich liebe es, daß keine Bläser zu hören sind, nur Mundharmonika, das preiswerteste Instrument´überhaupt.

Der wichtigste Satz überhaupt für mich

Schade, "nur" ein Blues

MICK69.JPGmetallica.ico

Sweet Cousin Cocaine, lay your cool cool hand on my head...

• Zitat

Street Fighting Man schrieb am 11.08.2005 12:21
    So lange arbeitest Du durch. Du Ärmste.

aber ehrlich, so'ne Ausbeutung

Iris
    uiiii, very special thanks

MICK69.JPGmetallica.ico

Sweet Cousin Cocaine, lay your cool cool hand on my head...

• Den Clips von ROCKS OFF ist jedenfalls zu entnehmen, wie der Sound des
    Albums sein wird. Diese Aufnahmen machen auch klar, warum es dann keine SACD von
    BIGGER BANG geben soll.