Johnny Winter

• Teil 2:

The manager and the damage done Nelson likens Winter's relationship with Slatus to the one Elvis Presley had with Col. Tom Parker: the artist was a cash register, and the drawer was always open. It's hard to deny the stacks of receipts and contracts Nelson has assembled that suggest gross financial exploitation on behalf of Slatus' management company. Specific examples include the unauthorized release of at least two DVDs, and thousands of dollars in receipts that Slatus submitted to Susan Winter, Johnny's wife, for airfare that had already been purchased by a European tour promoter. According to Nelson, you didn't need Sherlock Holmes to figure out what had happened.

"Teddy left a paper trail that was almost childlike," Nelson says. "It was obvious. There was no digging required. It was all right there. And no one could believe that one person could have had such a hold on all of this. We all knew something was up, and it always pointed to the manager."
    Nelson officially took control of Winter's affairs upon Slatus' termination in 2005, and he was determined to help Winter re-establish his fading career. But first, Nelson had to worry about the guitarist's health. Winter, who has always been exceedingly thin, had at one point in 2003 withered away to nearly 90 pounds. He endured an eight-month layoff in 2005 after undergoing surgery on his left wrist for carpal tunnel, and for a time it appeared that the man they call "Johnny Guitar" would never play again. On top of it all, he was battling hip problems, which to this day require him to perform seated. (In 2000, Winter fell at home and broke his hip, resulting in the cancellation of a fall tour.)

Between of the substance abuse and the myriad physical problems -- as well as a messy lawsuit stemming from a series of German shows that were cancelled in bizarre, abrupt fashion in the summer of 2003 -- Winter had earned a reputation among club owners and booking agents as being less than reliable. He'd simply missed too many dates, and the ones that he did manage to perform weren't exactly memorable. His skills, including the fiery guitar chops that had once dazzled none other than the great Jimi Hendrix, had eroded. Scariest of all, Winter was genuinely oblivious to the fact that he had a problem.

"We were driving together in upstate New York in the middle of 2004, just when he was starting to snap out of this funk," Nelson recalls. "And out of the blue, Johnny said to me, 'Paul, was I that bad?' I said, 'Johnny, you mean you don't remember?' And he said no, he didn't remember. I said, 'You're kidding me, right? Johnny, you were bad. Beyond bad.'" The outlook for Winter has changed -- and for the better. "He's aware of everything now," Nelson says. "He knows he's getting better. He can feel it, hear it and sense it. Now that the Teddy regime is over, people aren't afraid to speak their minds and tell him the truth about things. When Teddy was still around, it was considered a big risk to talk straight with Johnny. It would mean instant termination."
    Now, it's Nelson's job to rebuild the organization and achieve what just three years seemed to be a wildly daunting task: secure Johnny Winter's financial future, as well as his musical legacy. The former should be a legitimate possibility, pending a successful resolution with Slatus' estate and Winter's continued ability to tour; the latter, with a little luck, should eventually culminate with an induction ceremony at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio. In Nelson's mind, when Winter achieves that honor, the legendary guitarist's career journey, which began in the southeastern Texas town of Beaumont, will finally be complete.

Don't call it a comeback Thanks to a steady, healthy diet and physical regimen -- and a few tacos and milkshakes along the way -- Winter is now up to 140 pounds and looking better than he has in years. In 2006, Winter played roughly 120 shows, and Nelson expects his touring schedule to grow increasingly ambitious through 2007 and beyond. "He lives for the road," Nelson says, "and he lives the life of the ultimate night person. It's not an albino thing; it has nothing to do with the light, although a lot of people think that. He just really enjoys his sleep. He sleeps longer than anybody I know. He'll go to bed at 2 a.m., and then he won't wake up until 4 p.m. the next afternoon. Then he gets up and he's listening to music. He is the ultimate touring musician."

Nelson also notices other, more subtle changes: Winter is increasingly talkative and generally more aware and involved these days -- the emergence from his long, confusing haze continues. And Winter tells Nelson that he's tired of performing in a chair and would like to stand again, something he hasn't done in years. His musical skills are rebounding as well. He can again summon the magic from his vintage Gibson Firebird that transformed Bob Dylan's "Highway 61" into a slide-guitar tour de force, and the throaty growl that punctuated many of his classic 1970s recordings has resurfaced.

"The guitar riffs were always there," Nelson says. "They just were slowed down a bit because of the condition he was in. And now they're in synch, and he's improvising. He's returning to his old way of playing, where the songs were a format for his soloing and improvisation. Ideas are flowing out of him, his phrasing is in place, the singing, everything." But be advised: This is not a comeback. "It's not a comeback," Winter says with a hint of defiance, "because I never went anywhere."

Nelson avoids the c-word, but he likes to refer to Winter as "bulletproof." Winter doesn't seem to like that word, either. "I've been real lucky," he says. "And now I want to play as long as I live. I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't playing."

• Und noch einen Presseartikel zum Gibson Summer Jam 2008:

Bis die Tage
    Marquee

The wait is finally over, and ask anyone in attendance and they’ll tell you that it was worth every minute. Blues legend Johnny Winter finally walked onto the stage at Gibson Summer Jam ’08 at approximately 10:45 pm and delivered the kind of scorching blues only he can.
    With a backing band featuring guitar player Paul Nelson, Winter and company plowed straight into the Freddie King classic “Hideaway,” and didn’t let up once. For the next 90 minutes, Winter and his band turned in a performance for the ages, taking the crowd of 1000-plus through a blues history lesson that included such classics as Ray Charles’ “Blackjack,” Freddie King’s “Tore Down,” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House,”
    But the night was all about the collaboration that’s been the talk to the town ever since it was announced a few weeks ago: Slash joining one of his boyhood idols on stage for the very first time for what was sure to be one of the great rock and roll moments of the year.

“I’ve never met him before,” Slash told Gibson Lifestyle just before taking the stage tonight. “Johnny was one of the original guys that turned me on to the electric guitar when I first started out. He was one of my absolute favorite players, and pretty much still is. I’ve gone to a lot of his concerts back in the day, so it’s really, really nice to finally get the chance to meet him and jam.”
    And jam they did. Slash took the stage, along with another guitar giant and jazz legend, Larry Carlton, joining Winter and his band for rockin’ version of the Bobby and Shirley Womack classic made famous by the Rolling Stones, “It’s All Over Now.” For five minutes, time seemed to stand still as Winter, Carlton, and then Slash traded licks back and forth while driving the crowd into near frenzy. It was a great moment for music, and a memorable night for the Gibson Summer Jam.
    But the night didn’t end there. After the guests left the stage, Gibson Chairman and CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, and Gibson President Dave Berryman, presented Winter with a Gibson Custom Shop version of Winter’s iconic 1963 Firebird, aged to such perfection that many in the audience thought it was Winter’s original.

Winter strapped on the guitar and played his famous “Highway 61” to an adoring crowd that didn’t seem to want the night to end. But it did, as Winter and his band took one final bow and headed back to the bus.
    After the show, Gibson Lifestyle finally got the chance to sit down with Winter for a very quick chat (he was tired and wanted to go back to the hotel).
    “It was a great show, and I really enjoyed playing with Slash and Larry Carlton,” Winter said. “And that guitar [the Firebird] is a great guitar.”
    When told he is one of Slash’s heroes, Winter said, “It’s nice to know. It feels real good to know that someone thinks of you like that. That was a hell of a lot of fun out there tonight. I wish all my nights were like that.”
    Don’t we all.

Hier gibt es den Artikel auch mit Bildern.

• 06.03.2012 Augsburg
    11.03.2012 Münster
    13.03.2012 Bonn
    18.03.2012 Heidelberg
    05.11.2012 Bonn
    11.11.2012 Pforzheim
    12.11.2012 Gelsenkirchen

Ich habe Johnny Winter noch nie live gesehen. Freue mich aber wahnsinnig auf das Konzert in Münster! :D

• ARTE
    Samstag, 18. Februar 2012 um 22.35 Uhr

Wiederholungen:

21.02.2012 um 05:00
    24.02.2012 um 01:20

Tracks

(Frankreich, 2012, 52mn)
    ARTE F

(1): Johnny Winter: Der letzte Gitarrengott des Bluesrock
    Der
    1943 in Texas geborene Johnny Winter gründete seine erste Band im Alter
    von neun Jahren zusammen mit seinem Bruder Edgar, einem Albino wie er
    selbst. Nachdem er zehn Jahre lang durch die schwarzen Clubs im
    amerikanischen Süden getingelt war, wurde der leidenschaftliche
    Bluesrock-Gitarrist 1968 vom Plattenlabel Columbia entdeckt, das den
    "weißen Jimi Hendrix" suchte. Er unterzeichnete einen Vertrag und
    erhielt den üppigsten Newcomer-Vorschuss der noch jungen Rockgeschichte.
    Aber Johnny hielt den Tourneestress eines Rockstars nicht durch: Er
    verfiel dem Heroin und dem Alkohol und verbrachte über zwanzig Jahre
    seines Lebens mehr oder weniger im Dauerrausch. Zu Beginn des neuen
    Jahrtausends feierte er in Begleitung seines Bassisten sein Comeback auf
    der Bühne - wegen einiger Herzattacken allerdings im Sitzen. Im
    tiefsten Innern immer noch ein Bluesman, besann er sich denn auch auf
    den Blues seiner früheren Idole Son House und Muddy Waters. Mit
    letzterem produzierte er mehrere Grammy-gekrönte Alben. Im Alter von 69
    Jahren steigt der letzte "Guitar Hero" im Rahmen einer Welttournee mit
    110 Konzertstationen (alle ausgebucht!) auch auf die Bühne des Pariser
    Olympia.

" Wenn STONES Fans zusammen kommen, ist es egal wo sie sich treffen,
    für ein paar Stunden sind sie einfach im STONES LAND "

• Auf Spiegel Online stand im TV Programm von Arte allerdings dies:

Verleihung des schwul-lesbischen Filmpreises
    Show
    D

?(

Nichts mit Johnny Winter!

• Johnny Winter - Augsburg, Spectrum 06.03.2012

Gestern spielte Johnny Winter vor ausverkauftem Hause in Augsburgs einzigem Club, der eine wirklich tolle Atmosphäre hat und auch "Große Namen" immer wieder präsentiert. Als "Special Guest" wie auf dem Ticket stand, spielte Siggi Schwarz mit Band (insgesamt ein Trio).
    Siggi Schwarz spielte tolle Coverversionen von allzu bekannten Blues-Klassikern wie den "Roadhouse Blues" und rockigere Stücke wie "Fire" von Jimi Hendrix. Siggi Schwarz überzeugte dabei an der Gitarre, es machte wirklich Spass ihm und seiner Band zuzuhören und unwillkürlich wünschte man sich mehr davon. Dementsprechend waren die Erwartungen an Johnny Winter groß, gilt er doch als Blues-Legende. Gegen 21.30 Uhr kam er dann unsicheren Schrittes auf die Bühne geschlurft wo er dann alsbald auf einem Stuhl in der Bühnenmitte Platz nahm, den er erst am Ende des Konzertes wieder verließ.
    Leider war die Ankunft der alten Legende der einzige Höhepunkt seines Auftritts. Die ersten 4-5 Stücke unterschieden sich kaum voneinander, denn alle wurden im gleichen hohen Tempo "runtergeschrammelt", garniert mit einigen Krächzern von Johnny himself. Dann kam mal ein richtiger Blues, der allerdings weder von Johnny noch von seinen drei Mitstreitern gerettet werden konnte, es fehlte einfach an Feeling. So spielt auch eine Schülerband, die noch keine Ahnung von sinnvoll eingesetzten Gitarrensoli und Gefühl hat. Irgendwann einmal dachte ich vertraute Klänge zu hören und ich konnte dies tatsächlich als "Gimme Shelter" von meinen geliebten Stones identifizieren. Leider wurde auch dieses Stück aufgrund des hohen Tempos "niedergespielt". Man hatte den Eindruck, Johnny und die Band spielen nur so schnell um wieder schnell nach Hause bzw. ins Hotel zu kommen. Auf den Zugabenblock, der wahrscheinlich aus seinem berüchtigten "Highway 61" bestand, habe ich verzichtet. Mein Fazit: Wenn das Konzert mitgeschnitten worden wäre und man würde es in der halben Geschwindigkeit abspielen, dann könnte man es evtl. anhören, so aber bleibt nur die Erinnerung an einen enttäuschten Abend, dessen einziger Lichtblick die Vorgruppe war! Als ich das "Spectrum" verließ, hörte ich vor der Tür jemand sagen, "ich hätte mich geärgert, wenn ich dafür Eintritt bezahlt hätte!" Ein wahres Wort ausgesprochen, was ich mir während des Auftritts von Johnny Winter gedacht habe...

Fremde sind Freunde, die man nur noch nicht kennengelernt hat! :stonestongue

• Vor einer Woche durfte ich zum ersten Mal den Altmeister des Blues-Rock bewundern. Bis dato hatte ich nur von ihm gehört und noch nie live gesehen. Der Abend begann mit Parkplatzsuche. Wer konnte denn ahnen, dass nebenan in der Halle Münsterland auch eine Veranstaltung war? Der Support Siggi Schwarz & Friends (Bodo Schopf und Otto Hoppe) fand ich auch wirklich gut! Sehr abwechslungsreiche Stücke! Das Novel war gut besucht aber bei weitem nicht ausverkauft. So hatte man jedenfalls einen guten Blick auf die Bühne. Applaus brandete auf, als Mr Johnny Winter auf die Bühne kam und Platz nahm. Ich, für mein Empfinden, fand es erstaunlich, dass dieser alte gebrechlich wirkende Mann noch so auf seine Gitarre spielen konnte. Ich denke einfach nur, dass seine Finger genau wissen, was sie zu tun haben. Das läuft alles automatisch ab - ohne nachdenken zu müssen. Von seiner Stimme war allerdings nicht viel zu hören. Zwischendurch erzählte er auch. Ich hatte allerdings arge Probleme sein Englisch zu verstehen... Nach 1,5 Stunden und etlichen seiner berüchtigten Gitarren-Soli bekam ich sozusagen "Ohrenbluten" (nicht wörtlich zu nehmen!). Da hat die Gitarre wohl zu doll gejault... Obwohl wir eher gegangen sind, würde ich ihn mir noch einmal anschauen, wenn er in der Nähe spielen sollte. Er kommt zwar am 12.11. nach Gelsenkirchen, aber das ist leider ein Montag.

Hier noch mal ein Kommentar aus den Westfälischen Nachrichten: http://www.wn.de/Freizeit/Ruec…-Winter-trat-im-Jovel-auf

Und wer sich meine Fotos von dem Abend anschauen möchte...hier der Link: http://nuna.eastcoastmusic.de/2012/03/johnny-winter/